BAHASA INGGRIS

Material 1

How to Express: Greeting and Leave Taking
Task 1 Practice the dialog with a partner!
Heru     : Good morning Satya!
Satya    : Hello! Morning Heru!
Heru     :How is everything with you?
Satya    :Fine, thanks. What about you?
Heru     :Very well.
Satya    :What are you doing?
Heru     : I need some references to wite my report
Satya    :Well, good luck then. I have to leave now. Good bye!
Heru     : Bye!
The expressions in bold type are used to express greeting and leave taking.
Study the expression of greeting and leave taking in the table below!

Greetings Responses
Good morningGood afternoonGood evening Hello/Hi
How are you?
How is life?
How is everything with you?
How are you doing?
Good morningGood afternoonGood evening Hello/Hi
I am fine, thanks
I am very well, thankk you
Not bad, thanks
Just fine, thanks
Leave takings Responses
Good nightGood byeSee you later See you tomorrow
Bye
Good nightByeSee you See you
Bye
Task 2 Complete the dialog with suitable expressions!
  1. Ali        : Good morning Farah. How is life?
Farah    : Morning Ali! ………………………………….
  1. Fira       : Well, I must leave now. Good bye Ida!
Ida        : ……………………………………………………
  1. Yosi     : How is everything with you Linda?
Linda    : ……………………………………………………
  1. Siska    : Al right Fairuz, see you tomorrow?
Fairuz   : ……………………………………………………
  1. Amat    : I must sleep now. Good night Mom!
Mother  : ……………………………………………………
Task 3  Create a dialog from the following situation and perform the dialog in front of the classroom!
  1. You meet your teacher on the way to school. You greet him and ask his condition.
  2. You have a talk with your partner in the canteen. When you hear the bell rings, you say goodbye to her.
Material 2
How to Express: Introducing one and others

Task 4 Observe the picture and practice the following dialog with a partner!
Peter    : Hello!
Sheila   : Hi!
Peter    : Are you a student here?
Sheila   : Yes. I am a new student in the first grade. What about you?
Peter    : Me too
Sheila   : By the way, my name is Sheila, Sheila Iskandar
Peter    : I am Peter. Peter Sirait
Sheila   : How do you do Peter?
Peter    : How do you do Sheila?
Sheila   : What class are you in?
Peter    : I am in X two
Sheila   : What about you?
Peter    : I am in the same class with you
Sheila   : Great! Let’s go!
The expressions in bold type are used to express introduction.
Study the expression of introduction in the table below!
Introducing Oneself
Introducing others
Hello. I am Sheila Iskandar.Excuse me, my name is Sheila Iskandar.Let me introduce myself. My name is Sheila Iskandar. Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Sheila Iskandar.
How do you do?
It’s nice to meet you.
Let me introduce my friend, Lina.May I introduce my friend, Lina?This is Lina. Have you met Lina before?
Do you know my friend, Lina?
Please meet my friend, Lina.
Task 5 Complete the dialog with suitable expressions!
Tasya   : Good morning Alexa!
Alexa    : ………………………………(1) Tasya!
Tasya   : How is life?
Alexa    : ………………………………(2). What about you?
Tasya   : Very well, thanks.
Alexa    : Tasya, please introduce my friend Sarah
Tasya   : ………………………………..(3)
Sarah    : How do you do?
Tasya   : …………………………………(4)
Sarah    : Yes, I am Alexa’s classmate.
Tasya   : Well, I have to go now. Nice to meet you Sarah
Sarah    : …………………………………(5)
Task 6 Work with your partner to make a dialog in the situation below!
  1. Dicky and Dimas are new students in SMAN 2 Bandung. Today is the first day of school. They meet and introduce each other.
  2. Pita and her sister Saras are in the supermarket. They meet Dewi, Pita’s friend. Pita introduce Dewi to Saras.
Material 3
Expressing happiness
Task 1 Practice the following dialog!
Mother  : Tika, I have got a present for you. Here you are!
Tika      : Thanks Mom. May I open it?
Mother  : Sure, honey
Tika      : (after opening the present) Wow, what a nice purse!
Mother  : Do you like it?
Tika      : It’s great Mom! I love the color very much
Mother  : I’m glad you like it dear. It’s a present for your first ranking in the class!
Tika      : I’m really delighted Mom. Thanks a lot!

The bold expression in the dialog is used to express happiness. Study the following expressions!
Showing happiness
ü     I’m happy to get the present.
ü     I’m pleased about it.
ü     Great!
ü     Fantastic!
ü     Terrific!
ü     Wonderful!
ü     I’m impressed with the supper.

Task 2 Complete the dialog with the available words!
Mother  : Heny, your sister said that she will take you to the department store.
Heny     : Hooray! That’s ………………….(1) When will we go Mom?
Mother  : Perhaps after lunch. Your sister will buy a …………….(2)  for you. She is amazed with your …………….(3)  on the stage. She wants you to wear a new dress on your next singing performance. Your last night performance was great honey!
Heny     : Thanks for your …………….(4) Mom. I will practice singing to have my best performance.
Mother  : You should honey. You are wonderful.
Heny     : …………….(5)  Mom.
  1. Thanks
  2. Great
  3. Dress
  4. Compliment
  5. Performance
Task 3 Write dialogs in the following situations! Perform them in front of the classroom!
  1. You win a speech contest and you will get a five million present.
  2. Your friend gets a new dress from her parents.
  3. Your sister has got a scholarship to Australia.
  4. Your father gets a promotion in his office. Now he is a branch manager.

Material 4
Expressing sympathy and giving attention 
Task 4 Observe the picture and practice the following dialog!

Sofyan : Hi Taufik! What are you doing here?
Taufik   : I have to accompany my brother. He had an operation yesterday.
Sofyan : What happened?
Taufik   : His motorcycle crashed into a lamp post near my house. He broke his leg.
Sofyan : I am sorry about that. Is he all right?
Sofyan : Yes, he is fine. The operation was successful and he must stay here for recovery.
Taufik   : Well, I hope he will recover soon.
Sofyan : Thanks.
The bold expression in the dialog is used to express sympathy and attention. Study the following expressions!
Expressing sympathy Showing attention
I am sorry to hear that.I am terrible sorry.Oh, that’s awful. That’s too bad.
What a shame!
Is he all right?Are you okay?What happened? What’s wrong with you?
What can I do for you?
Don’t worry. Everything is okay.
I hope he will be fine.
Task 5 Arrange these jumbled sentences into a good dialog!
Sinta
Lutfia
–       Really? What happened?-       O, I am sorry to hear that-       I hope you can get it back as soon as possible. –       Why didn’t you come yesterday?
–       So you have made a report to the police?
–   Someone stole my motorcycle –   I had to go to the police station-   Thanks! –   Thanks. I need that support
–   Yes, I have. They promised to find it soon

Task 6 Make a dialog based on the situation below! Use the expression to show attention and sympathy above! Practice the dialog in front of the classroom!
1.   Your sister lost her wallet. She was so sad because there was sum of money in it.
2.  You arrived at your friend’s house. He looks disappointed because he didn’t win the speech contest.
3.  Your classmate had got an accident and he has to stay in a hospital for medical treatment.
4.   Your best friend calls you to inform that her father gets a serious illness. He  is in a coma.

Material 5
HOW TO EXPRESS: GIVING INVITATION
Task 1 Look at the picture and practice the dialog with a partner!

Fadli     : Do you have a plan tomorrow?
Ilham    : No, I don’t
Fadli     : Would you like to come to my house? There is a small party celebrating my brother’s graduation.
Ilham    : Sure. I’d love to. What time?
Fadli     : 10 o’clock. Please ask your sister to come with you
Ilham    : All right
Fadli     : Well, be there!
In the dialog above, we can find some expressions to invite someone. Study the expression below!
Inviting Someone
  1. Would you like to come to my house?
  2. What about watching film?
  3. Why don’t you come for dinner?
  4. It will be great if you can come to my party.
  5. Would you care to come by?

Accepting Invitation Rejecting Invitation
  • Thank you. I’d love to.
  • Thanks. With pleasure.
  • That’s sounds like a nice idea.
  • What a splendid idea!
  • That’s very kind of you.
  • All right/OK
  • Thank you but I have to do my report.
  • I’d love to but I will be away next weekend.
  • Sorry, I can’t.
  • I wish I could/ I wish I would.


Task 2 Make a short dialog in every situation below!
  1. Your mother cooks a new menu and the meal is plentiful. Invite your close friend to come for having dinner.
  2. There will be a concert in your school presenting the most popular band in town. Invite your sister to see the concert with you.

Material 6
HOW TO EXPRESS: MAKING ARRANGEMENT
Task 3 Look at the picture and practice the following dialog!
Rceptionist       : Dr. Hobart’s secretary. Can I help you?
Caller                : Yes, please. I want to make an appointment.
Rceptionist       : What seems to be the problem?
Caller                : I have got a terrible toothache. It makes me dizzy. Can I come this evening?
Rceptionist       : Sorry, we are full this evening. What about tomorrow at seven p.m?
Caller                : Tomorrow? I can’t wait until tomorrow. Can you make it today?
Rceptionist       : Alright. Maybe I can add one more patient this evening.
Caller                : Oh. Thank you so much.
In the dialog above, we can find some expressions to make arrangement. Study the expression below!
Previous
Next Post »